Once Upon A Time, A Roman Catholic Mother of Eight Documented Her Journey Through The Eastern Church Year...Now She Just Documents Her Years...
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Why I Didn't Make It To Easter Vigil
Pascha!
Let God Arise, Let His enemies be scattered!
Sorry for the gap in the blogosphere, but I have come to a stark realization.
I have a 2 year old.
It has been 8 years since I have had one of them and I am becoming painfully aware of this time in a parents life as being the most terrifying and enjoyable at the same time.
For the two year old, well, it is just daily life.
This brings me to why I missed the Vigil, and writing about the most beautiful time in the Eastern Catholic Church year.
Remember the Fast of Great Lent? There I was still smarting from the taste of Hot Sauce, (that's what you are doing to your food (vegetables) by the 40th day) And physically aching from prostrations (you wouldn't believe it if I told you) and it is Saturday night- Vigil. There is a communal meal afterward, and I was desperately trying to prepare a dish, and ironing little (and big) boys trousers for Church that evening.
I left the laundry room for a minute to go stir the Chinese Eggplant.
Where is Olivia?
No answer.
Olivia?
She bounced in to the kitchen with a white substance covering her body. It looked like baby powder. But it smelled and tasted like Baking Flour.
Now where did she get that? I thought.
AAAAHHHHH!
I ran to the laundry room and found a figurine of SpongeBob swimming in the flour bin and the freshly ironed boys trousers covered in white powder.
Let's just say I didn't take it well.
I reminded my husband that she could not be trusted and NOT to leave her alone under any circumstances.
I rewashed and re-ironed the pants, and quickly put the locking lid back on the flour bin.
I put Olivia's new Easter dress on her and put tin foil on the eggplant.
And then I realized that she had gone missing...again.
When I went into the laundry room...do I need to say more?
She looked up at me with her big brown eyes and a face that looked like she had been hit by a pie in a three stooges episode and said, "Sorry Mommy, It's my fault."
At 5:o0 Pascha morning,We woke each of the boys up, and went to Divine Liturgy. The Church was filled with Candlelight, People ,Easter Lily and Angels (I am sure of it!).
"Christ is Risen from the dead,
trampling down death, by death,
and to all those in the tombs bestowing Life!"
Christ is Risen! He has truly Risen...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment